Portraits For Our Baby’s Room

Aunty Amy … married to my brother Ben and mother of Andrew, Isaiah and Jeremiah

(Click on each image for a larger view)

A few months back, I mentioned on the blog that we were working on a series of photos for our baby’s nursery. We just entered the third trimester, and we now have a crib (minus the mattress). Above the crib is a wide wall that can accommodate 10 frames at 8’x10′.

So here’s the concept: We want our child to know that they always have their family close by. So, beginning in August with Hailey’s brother and sister-in-law, we’ve been photographing them on a white backdrop. Rather than do just a headshot, we thought it would be fun if each image captured the playful, inner child of our parents, our brothers and sisters, and our nephews. On Thanksgiving Day, we completed the shoot. This post is devoted to the ones we’ve selected to frame.

Uncle Benji and Cousin Jer’

Cousin Andrew

Cousin Isaiah

Grandpa (Hailey’s father)

Nana (Hailey’s mother)

Funpa (my father)

Oma (my mother)

Uncle Jason (Hailey’s brother)

Aunty Ali (Jason’s wife, Hailey’s sister-in-law)

There are more images of Jason and Ali from a post I did in September.

What I’ve come to realize is that these images are a family heirloom, something to treasure more than any antique. At age 1 or 2, just as our son/daughter is beginning to figure these relationships out, these pics will be their guide. By the time they’ll be in high school and college, this will be a snapshot of who we were back then. Such an awesome family … we’re thankful for each person within it.

Can’t decide whether we should complete it with pictures of the two of us being playful or not. I don’t know … the kid’s going to be seeing plenty of us!

About these ads
Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 thoughts on “Portraits For Our Baby’s Room

1. Kim Ellertson says:

I just saw this on your facebook. What a cool idea Kevin!! I loooove it! Yes, I think you should have pics of you and Hailey, larger frames, in the middle of the rest. I might copy your idea. Chace’s room is skiier themed, but maybe I get pics of our fam on the slopes! Loooooove it!

2. Marni says:

AMAZING!!! You’ve got skills my friend!

3. Paula Huggins says:

Definitely include you and Hailey and the baby bump! BTW, you shot my favourite wedding pic…guess it was out in the driveway, when Craig was doing his thing…thanks!

• Kevin Day says:

Thanks Paula. Maybe we will.

I think I caught Adam and Tess at that moment they realized they were married and could celebrate it. It’s all about timing I guess!

4. JoAnn Lucero says:

Absolutely love these pictures. Very fun!

5. Jodi says:

This is the best idea for a nursery EVER!

6. [...] I’m about to implement a serious revamp of http://www.tanagerphotography.com, which will include my 2010 wedding and portrait packages, as well as an overhaul of the galleries section by splitting weddings from portraits. While I was at it, I decided to take another look at the travel galleries, which got me thinking about whether I should include Ecuador in my portfolio, which got me thinking that Ecuador isn’t anywhere on the blog, which got me thinking how much I want to go somewhere pretty much at any moment now, which made me realize I’m not going anywhere for a while … what with the baby and all. [...]