The Reitzug Family Reunion (The Cousins)

2009-07-05-Reitzug-1963

(Click on each photo for a larger version)

Last week I was able to get a post up on my Mom’s amazing family, The Reitzugs — mainly, generations 1 and 2. Well, they’re back on the blog, this time, generations 3 (which I belong to) and 4. Rather than try to make sense of this massive family tree, I’ll just do this.

ABOVE: Elsa, daughter of my cousin Holly Rydel … I think I’ll entitle this sequence After Effects of a Blue Raspberry Lollipop.

2009-07-05-Reitzug-2272

ABOVE: Aidan, Jimmy and Nick Reitzug, sons of the oldest cousin in my generation, Joe Reitzug and his wife Stephanie.

2009-07-05-Reitzug-2180
ABOVE: Mark, Peter and Damian, three of the four Leonard boys (their brother Andrew, couldn’t make it to the reunion due to his house selling). As you can probably note from their choice in sunglass styles, they’re all outdoor-active types. Mark and Peter schooled me in soccer on the final night and they were, um … well, my teammates.

2009-07-05-Reitzug-1969
ABOVE: Mr. Andrew Gunnison Day. My nephew, my bud, and popular star of such previous blog posts as Us Kids Know and Christmas Cookie Sprinkle Snitchers.

2009-07-05-Reitzug-2238
ABOVE: Byron Lillie and Kate Balerud. Kate took the 40D from me at the tail end of the photo shoot and did a sequence of shots of Hailey and I jumping in the air in front of the white backdrop. Through no fault of Kate’s, they will not be posted on this blog. Let’s just say that I look like a complete bozo.

2009-07-05-Reitzug-1950
ABOVE: Alex Reitzug, son of Aunt Maria, trampoline extraordinaire and a fellow photog.

2009-07-04-Reitzug-1905
ABOVE: Isaiah and Jeremiah Day, my nephews. See also Us Kids Know and Christmas Cookie Sprinkle Snitchers.

2009-07-05-Reitzug-2050
ABOVE: Amy Bierman and Randy Rydel (left); Rebecca Reitzug (right). Amy and Randy are roughly the same age as Hailey and I, and we spent a good deal of time hanging out with them at the reunion, including two memorable meals in downtown Santa Fe. I also got to know Rebecca better this go around … we’re about 10 years apart, but with each reunion, those age gaps matter less.

2009-07-05-Reitzug-2318
ABOVE: Quinlan and her mom, Mary Beth TeSelle. At left, Quinlan is showing off her fabulous Fourth-of-July-themed rub-on tattoo.

2009-07-05-Reitzug-2242
ABOVE: Nick and Guilia Reitzug with their son Lorenzo (left); Stela Reitzug (right). Nick and Guilia live in Rome, and were kind enough to host us for a few nights when we visited last year. This year, we got a chance to reciprocate in Denver, and carpool down to the reunion in New Mexico (with a stop at the Great Sand Dunes). My cousin Stela is headed to Kosovo right now for missionary work. She’s originally from Albania, so the trip is holding great significance for her.

2009-07-05-Reitzug-2289
ABOVE: Elsa with her grandpa Mat (left); my mom Angie with her oldest brother Henry (right). OK, so this isn’t generations 3 and 4 as promised, but I had to include them because they are two of my absolute favorite shots. If you are wondering where my preoccupation with cameras comes from, look no further than the ‘Zugs.

2009-07-05-Reitzug-2306
And finally, I have to include a shot Hailey took of me with my mom Angie and brother Ben. Dad had to return to Denver the day before, so we’ll have to do a reshoot to get the true family portrait.

As soon as the family book and family tree are done, you know me, I’ll get another blog post up. I loved this gig, and am looking forward to shooting more family reunions, especially with the white backdrop.

Contact me if I can offer this service at one of your own family reunions.

About these ads
Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 thoughts on “The Reitzug Family Reunion (The Cousins)

1. Great pics Kevin! You guys sure are a good looking bunch. The boys are growing up so fast, they look different from the last time we saw them!

2. Axel Reitzug says:

Dear Reitzug`s,
    when surfing in the internet, I was surpised to find so many REITZUG
    in the United States. In Germany , where I live with my family,
    we are only few people with this name. My ancetors originally
    came from East-Prussia in 19 th century. I think from our branch
    we have no relatives in the USA.
    I just wanted to say hello.
    Yours Axel Reitzug

• Kevin Day says:

Thanks for visiting Axel… Amazing: I’ve never met another person with the last name of Reitzug. My family is the only one we know of in the United States, but we’re a pretty big group (my mom is the third oldest of eight, and each of those siblings has at least two kids). They also hail from East Prussia, around a town once known as Mehlsack. They fled in the aftermath of World War II to the American occupied side of Germany (Osnabrück), and then emigrated to the United States in the 1950s. We may just be related from long ago!

My grandfather’s name was Nikolaus Reitzug. He passed away four years ago, and is survived by his wife, Elisabeth. http://www.tributes.com/show/88508065

I can dig around and find out some of Niklaus’ ancestors for you if you’d like. It would be interesting to see if there is a connection!

Thanks for leaving a comment on this post.

3. Axel and Sophia Reitzug says:

Dear Kevin,
    thank you for your answer, sure we are interested in finding out if there’s a connection. My grandfather was Julius Reitzug, born in 1867, Dietrichswalde/Allenstein. His father was Julius Reitzug, born in 1841, Groß Buchwalde. And his father was Nikalaus Reitzug, born in 1800. And his father was also Nikolaus Reitzug, but we have no date of birth. We have no names of the brothers from Nikolaus and Julius, but often one son was given the same name as the father. So it could be that there’s a connection.
    It would be very kind if you could find out if there’s a relations chip. Many greetings, Axel and Sophia (daughter, 14 years old)

By the way: We find your photos are excellent!

4. Susanne says:

* 27.06.1879 Allenstein
    + 06.07.1882 Allenstein

5. Antonie Jela Reitzug
    * 30.08.1881 Reitzug

6. Otto Carl Reitzug
    + 27.10.1885 Allenstein

In Gr Buchwalde gab es einen Krugbesitzer Nikolaus Reitzug oo Anna Wolter, eine Tochter Catharina Reitzug * 08.02.1869 Gr Buchwalde, oo 30.09.1890 Bergfriede mit Franz Sowa Zimmerpolier, Bauunternehmer. Nikolaus R hatte einen weiteren Sohn Gustav R * 20.02.1860 Allenstein, + 1915, dessen Mutter war Louise Pelz

Grüsse aus Deutschland

5. Susanne says:

Zu Nikolaus Reitzug * 1800 und einem Vater Nikolaus Reitzug sowie dessen Eltern habe ich auch noch etwas gefunden:

Jacob Reicuch, 1774 als Arrendator in Wola Targowo oo ?

Sohn:
    Michael Reicuch, civis, arrendator, libertinus ex Gainen, hares, scultetus in Stanslewo, * 1751, oo 10.07.1774 Bischofsburg Catharina Müller

Sohn ua:
    Nikolaus Reicuch, ludirector in Bredinken, * 05.12.1777 Bischofsburg + 26.01.1842 Bredinken, oo Elisabeth Wiewiorra

Sohn ua:
    Nikolaus Reicuch * 21.09.1800

Vielleicht läßt sich da ja was rekonstruieren. Die Schreibweise des Namens war damals noch völlig willkürlich (Reitzug, Reizug, Reicuch, Reiczug usw.), teilweise werden sogar innerhalb einer Urkunde verschiedene Schreibweisen benutzt).

Grüsse aus Deutschland

6. Axel Reitzug says:

Liebe Susanne,
    vielen Dank für Deine Recherche. Erstaunlich, was Du über meine Familie
    alles heraus gefunden hast. Mehr als ich wußte ! Der Fabikbesitzer Julius
    Reitzug war mein Großvater, der allerdings schon verstorben war bevor ich
    geboren wurde. Es gibt noch eine Tochter von Julius in München, das ist
    meine Tante Erika, sie wurde im April 100 Jahre alt ! Ob es nun wirklich eine Verbindung über Nikolaus Reitzug von unserem Stamm zu dem amerikanischen Stamm gibt, ist nicht ganz ersichtlich für mich.
    Worin besteht denn Dein Interesse an dieser Ahnenforschung ? Bist Du auch eine Reitzug ?
    Über eine Antwort würde sich freuen :
    Axel Reitzug

p.s : For the Americans : is it okay when we write in German ?

7. Susanne says:

Hallo Axel,
    Um die genaue Verwandtschaft mit 100% Sicherheit nachzuweisen bedürfte es eines lückenlosen Urkundsbestands für eure beiden Reitzuglinien, den habe ich nicht, so gesehen kann man also stellenweise nur mit hohen Wahrscheinlichkeiten und mehreren Quellen arbeiten. Für die amerikanische Reitzuglinie habe ich als Quelle einen Stammbaum Reitzug-Leonards, den Ed Leonards, ein Mitglied der amerikanischen Reitzug-Familie, vor einigen Jahren unter ancestry eingestellt hatte. Zwar wurde dieser als persönlich markiert mit der Folge, daß der Stammbaum als solches für Dritte nicht abrufbar war, wohl aber waren Namen und Angaben zu Geburtsdatum sowie –ort der Familienmitglieder erkennbar, so daß sich hieraus eine Generationenfolge der amerikanischen Reitzuglinie bilden ließ, weil meist pro Generation nur ein Reitzug auftaucht. Durch Abgleich dieser Generationenfolge mit Deinen Angaben sowie den bei mir vorhandenen Daten- und Urkundsbeständen läßt sich bereits ein ganz gutes Ergebnis erzielen. Also dann, Versuch einer Rekonstruktion:
    1. Über seinen Großvater NIKOLAUS HERMAN REITZUG (1923-2007) schrieb Kevin Day, daß er aus Mehlsack in Ostpreussen stammte; aus der Generationenfolge von EL ergibt sich allerdings auch, daß dies möglicherweise nicht für seine gesamte Familie und jedenfalls nicht für die weiteren Vorfahren galt, 2 weitere Reitzugs dieser Generation, geboren 1926 und 1927, also möglicherweise Brüder von Nikolaus Hermann R., wurden in Berlin geboren.
    2. Als nächste Generation, also den Vater von Nikolaus Hermann R., findet man bei EL 5 Reitzugs, geboren zwischen 1888 und 1898 in Germany. Diese konnte ich durch Urkunden identifizieren, es sind 5 (von 7) Geschwister, gebürtig in Allenstein. Welcher der 5 nun der Vater (oder uU die Mutter) war, kann ich ohne die Geburtsurkunde von Nikolaus Hermann R. selbstverständlich nicht sagen, am wahrscheinlichsten ist es natürlich einer der beiden Söhne, also entweder Eduard Nikloaus R. * 13.09.1897 oder Bruno Felix R. * 12.07.1895, gewesen. Ich tippe auf ersteren, aber ohne Urkunden und mit 5 Personen in dieser Generation ist dies realistischerweise nur eine Spekulation.
    3. Die folgende Generation ist wieder relativ einfach, EL gibt an Gustav Reitzug * 1860 Buchwalde; dies deckt sich mit den Geburtsurkunden der Generation 2), die als Eltern ausweisen GUSTAV REITZUG, Schmidnermeister und Wagenfabrikant in Allenstein, und MARIA ENDERT.
    4. Die nächste Generation ist die von der Nachweislage her gesehen schwierigste, allerdings auch diejenige, die m.E. euren gemeinsamen Vorfahren darstellen könnte. EL gibt an NICOLAUS REICUCH, * 1800 Stanislewo (Sternsee), Ostpreussen; von diesem Nikolaus R. habe ich auch die entsprechende Geburtsurkunde. Durch die Geburt seines Sohnes Gustav R. in Buchwalde in der Generation 3) ergibt sich auch, daß dieser Nikolaus R. zumindest zeitweise in Buchwalde ansässig gewesen ist. Du gibst als Vorfahr ebenfalls Nikolaus R. * 1800 sowie einen in Buchwalde geborenen Sohn Julius R., * 1841 Gr. Buchwalde, Fabrikbesitzer, von diesem als Vorfahren an, d.h. auch Dein Nikolaus R. war zeitweise in Buchwalde ansässig und hatte außerdem dasselbe Geburtsjahr. Außerdem habe ich Nachweise über einen Krugbesitzer Nikolaus R. in Buchwalde und 2 Kinder desselben, Gustav R. * 1860 und Catharina R. * 1869, aber leider keinerlei Urkunden aus Buchwalde. Angesichts der Tatsache, daß Buchwalde zum damaligen Zeitpunkt – plakativ ausgedrückt – ein Kaff war und der Name Reitzug sehr selten ist sowie bei den übereinstimmenden Daten halte ich es für äußerst wahrscheinlich, daß der nachweisliche 1800 geborene Nikolaus R. sowie der nachweisliche Krugbesitzer Nikolaus R. identisch sind, aber einen definitiven Urkundsbeweis habe ich nicht. Für die weiteren Generationen, wie sie von EL gelistet werden, und welche somit Eure gemeinsamen Vorfahren darstellen dürften, habe ich dagegen wiederum urkundliche Nachweise:
    5. NICOLAUS REICUCH, * 05.12.1777 Bischofsburg – + 26.01.1842 Bredinken, Schulmeister in Bredinken, oo 05.11.1798 Stanslewo mit ELISABETH WIEWIORRA, 13 Kinder
    6. MICHAEL REICUCH, * 1751, libertinus, civis, arrendator, hares sowie Schulze in Stanslewo, oo 10.07.1774 Bischofsburg CATHARINA MÜLLER, 8 Kinder
    sowie dessen Vater
    7. JACOB REICUCH, um 1774 arrendator in Wola Targowo
    Sorry, das war jetzt etwas lang für einen Blog-Eintrag, aber über 200 Jahre lassen sich nun mal nicht im Schweinsgalopp erklären.

Grüsse, Susanne